Date: Tuesday 22nd September 2020
Emirates FA Cup First Qualifying Round
Venue: Mayesbrook Park
Current form:
Dadson 7' 47' 49'
Opponent 29
Dumebi GB-Dumaka 41'
Donnell Anderson 89'
Attendance: 105
Starters: : Manny Agboola, Ricky Tarbard, Keaton Moore, Ben O'Brien, Kevin Songolo, Albie Sheehan-Cozens, Sam Owusu, Max Bradford,
Dumebi GB-Dumaka (C), Michael Dixon, Junior Dadson
Substitutes: Donnell Anderson, Billy Jones, David Fallah, Isaac Westendorf, Jacob Adeyemi, Junior Luke, Ryan Karrer
50' Fallah Moore 
57' Jones Dadson 
70' Anderson Bradford
Yellow cards: Dixon


This was a pulsating cup tie which could have had the ingredients of a giant killing but Barking led by a hat trick from Junior Dadson saw off the spirited threat of Dunstable Town and moved into the second qualifying round of the FA Cup for the first time since 2017 and the £2,250 prize money is a nice added bonus.

Dadson’s hat trick was our first FA Cup treble since August 18th 2007 when Wayne Vaughan put three past Harefield United. Tonight, was also our first ever win over Dunstable Town: in season 03/04 in the Isthmian league North both games ended 0-5 (A) and 2-6 (H) and a home FA Vase tie in October 2012 ended in favour of 3-0 to the visitors.

In the absence of the injured Abs Seymour, Dumebi GB-Dumaka led both the line and the team, Dan Flemming was injured in the warm up and his place in the starting line up was taken by Kevin Songolo making his first appearance of the season.

The game started at a fast pace with both teams testing each other out - however, two early dangerous crosses from Ricky Tarbard and Max Bradford just eluded Barking players. Barking struck first on seven minutes when another cross from Sam Owusu playing in a wider role found Junior Dadson who slipped the ball home to give us the lead. Dunstable were not perturbed by this setback and only timely tackle by Albie Sheehan-Cozens stopped any progress. Owusu got to the bye line again on 17 and his cross was headed into the ground by GB-Dumaka and subsequently saved by visiting keeper Daniel Gould. Two minutes we should have doubled our lead when Ben O’Brien headed back to Michael Dixon but his close-range effort smacked the bar and the ball was cleared away. The frame of the goal denied us again on 24 when a corner from Keaton Moore finds the head of GB-Dumaka who hits the post. On 29 we do have the ball in the net when Dadson intercepts the ball and frees Dixon and his hard low cross is turned into his own net by Gregg Douglas for an own goal. Fourteen minutes from the interval Dixon is through on goal and his shot again finds the post as the goal frame is the visitors best defender. After only being able to fire in long distance shots and not having a real sight of the home goal: keeper Manny Agboola hits the ball against a Dunstable attacker and thankfully (from a Barking viewpoint) the ball goes wide of the goal. This leads to further indecision in our defence and shot flies wide of the goal as Dunstable look to reduce the arrears. With 41 on the clock it’s three for the Blues as a Tarbard long throw is headed home by Dumebi GB-Dumaka for his first of the season.

In two second half minutes Barking sealed their place in the next round: firstly on 47 a Dunstable player stretches to keep the ball in play but presents it to GB-Dumaka who frees Junior Dadson and he makes a shooting angle and fires home for 4-0. Just a minute later the ball rebounds off Kevin Songolo to Junior Dadson who strides forward and unleashes an unstoppable shot which is in the net before Gould can even react for a stunning goal. As the old football proverb says you are most vulnerable after scoring and so it proved when a mistake let in Ted Daniels who gave Agboola no chance and Dunstable reduced the arrears. The Blue tide continued to flow however, as Dixon robs a defender runs down the wing and crosses to GB-Dumaka, but his shot goes wide, then Dixon is through on goal again but his effort is saved by Gould and GB-Dumaka’s follow up is again wide. On 62 only a good Agboola save stops the visitors from scoring another as they refuse to give up and play their part in this excellent cup tie and continue to give their all in search of further goals. Owusu is freed by GB-Dumaka and delivers another quality cross but Dixon is yet again thwarted by Gould. Agboola has to palm away a cross cum shot at full stretch as the game moves into its later stages. With 15 to go sub David Fallah bursts into the box and is fouled, Michael Dixon is given a chance from 12 yards to score the goal his performance deserved. It was not to be: although the penalty was well struck it was too close to Gould who pulled off a fine save. Dixon’s booking shortly afterwards just added to the striker’s frustration. With a minute remaining two subs combined to conclude the scoring. a Billy Jones cross finds the incoming Donnell Anderson who needs no invitation to score his first Barking goal and round off a fine evening for the Mayesbrook Men.

The second qualifying round will be played on Saturday October 3rd and the draw is this coming Friday lunchtime. This means our home league game against Ashford Town will need to be rearranged. We are In FA competition action again this Saturday when we travel to AFC Sudbury in the Trophy with a 3pm kick off.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


To read/download a digital version of today's programme click on the above image, alternatively to view as a flip book click here


About Us

Barking Football Club established 1880. Who play at Mayesbrook Park and formerly at the Vicarage Field.

Terms of Use


Where are we

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    0203 244 0069
  • Address:
    Mayesbrook Park, Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2JR